27 April 2009

Wildflower Warning

        So, I'm winding down in my preparation for my race this weekend.  Starting to do a little more packing and planning and a little less training, not that I did all that much training for this one.  I set aside 12 weeks to go hard to prepare for this race.  I had kept pretty strong in the off season and my training was starting to really take off.  I was getting faster than I ever had and more mentally prepared as well.  That is until I got sick 4 weeks in.  And I mean really sick. It started off as the flu, but was quickly followed up with my lungs getting swollen and inflamed leaving me unable to get out more than a sentence without getting lightheaded and tingly.  After walking about 10 yards, I would have to stop to catch my breath.  And it lasted about 4 weeks.  It took another week or two to be able to get through a workout without that same feeling or being stopped by tears of frustration.  With about 3 weeks left till race day I finally felt strong again but no where near where I had been.
       I did Wildflower 12 years ago.  It was my second tri.  I was hoping to beat my time.  I was hoping to finally place in the top half of my division.  Not too lofty of goals, usually somewhat out of reach for me.  Now I have to sit back and hope that all the mental training I did will carry me through the lack of real
training.  Hoping I can just will myself to go faster and harder. Thinking I will be singing a lot of cadence in my head and channelling Pre.  I guess I will find out if it all works out Saturday morning by 11:37 a.m., my planned for (hoped for?) finish time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment